Friday, December 7, 2007

Nine Underground


I was going to post some big free jazz files of mine, but I'm still having trouble with the computer end of things. Ithink it's an old OSX thing. In the meantime I'm posting an album called Nine//Underground. This was a compilation of Atlanta electronic/experimental music from 1980-84ish. My brother produced the album for Perimeter records. Arthur (my brother) had a radio show on WREK, initially called "Conceptions" and then "Notes From Underground", that played experimental, ambient and industrial music from around the world c. 1982-88 (I'm guessing.) His friend Glen Thrasher, now of A Capella Books, had a radio show running on WREK concurrently called "Destroy All Music." Ellen McGrail may still be doing that show, but I'm not sure because it's so hard to listen to WREK now (unless you're into terrrible Turkish pop music.) During that time there was a healthy scene in Atlanta that semi supported the extremes in art and music. I say that, but I was not there ( I was probably ten) and I remember my brother being very poor at the time. Anyway, this was before laptops, before PCs, before regular bars like Lenny's would accept just about anybody. These people were the true pioneers and I have to respect that because it was done with no expectation of real accolades whatsoever.

One person on this comp went on to semifame and that was Jarboe...real name Jane Couch. She ended up in Swans and now does her own alt/goth/diva thing as "The Living Jarboe." Let me tell you...when my brother was 20 and she was 31 and he brought her home for thanksgiving...well, my parents and my brother are great now. Just listen to her track and imagine the cranberry sauce!

Hmm...pvc precinct ended up having Johhny Ether aka John Laubach in the band..young schizophrenics really was a crazy dude..incest, well legend has it that it was brother, sister and daughter in their band...sequence 3 was John Kincaid who did "Personality Crisis" on WREK...Pillowtexans were people that lived in the Pillowtex warehouse on Mitchell Street(?) back when loft living was a very dubious prosect, indeed...

I can't ermember much else except that the label was perimeter records which was run by Chris Swarz. I swear I saw him dancing aroud drunk at El Myr last friday...who knows?

Here 'tis:

Nine//Underground

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ben -

So great to read about this record. It has stayed near and dear to me, not only because of the lasting quality of the songs, but also because it served as part of the soundtrack for the days that I still have such fond memories for!

Walls *are* bleeding . . .

- Jame

Anonymous said...

Swartz is still musically active, playing in a synthesizer trio called Broken Symmetry with Doug Hughes - another Perimeter Records allumni. Hughes also plays in Tenth To The Moon (www.tenthtothemoon.com) with myself and others. Our debut CD has just come out on local Stickfigure Records. In the late 80's Swartz formed King-Kill/33 with me and Keith Lee, who is also currently a T''Moon member. Swartz doesn't live intown nor does he drink much so you're probably wrong about the sighting. Tell Arthur I said hello.

Mitchell Foy

Doug said...

Mitch is right, Chris rarely drinks more than 1-2 beers if any at all.

Chris and I are working on documenting Perimeter Records via my space, which is long overdue. He brought over some great archive material tonight, which I will be scanning and posting over the holidays. I typed as he recalled the way the Nine Underground LP came together, which he has a good memory for, but there are details missing.

We need Arthur's input.

We later went down to see Vietnam at Kavarna tonight, and talked to Doug Deloach, David Dean and others hoping to fill in some of the gaps. Knowing we need Arthur's assistance, we learned from both that shouldn't be difficult. So we hope to hear from your brother soon.

Doug Hughes