Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Strang(e) Theory


Back in the day, which in today's terms means about five years ago, Pat Foley and John Somebody (sorry, I'm bad with names) started having benefit shows for a comp cd they were working on called "String Theory." Everything was recorded at Shangrila studios by Will Nameescapesme. I ended up being in two bands that were on the comp: A good Horse and Moreland Audio.

A Good Horse was Daniel Clay's band. I say that because he really wrote all of the compositions. The band consisted of me on saxophone, Daniel on Guitar, Robbie Handley on bass, Nat Slaughter on bass, and Jamie Shepard on drums. I will post more AGH shortly that also includes additional members Bryan Fielden on drums and Gordon Vernick on trumpet. This track from string theory is some of my favorite music ever, but shortly after it was recorded Daniel didn't want to do it anymore. Jeez Daniel...at least don't stop the solo stuff. I had a 102 degree fever the day this was recorded (in the summer.)

Moreland Audio was me on guitar and baritone guitar, Gary Flom from Purkinje Shift on guitar and lap steel and Adam Overton on drums and laptop metronome. Due to a tuner malfunction our track was tuned a half step up from the usual tuning. I was playing baritone guitar. The end of this track came from us fucking around in practice trying to duplicate a skipping cd player in our music.

For some reason Will did not want the musicians to be around when the music was mixed and I'll have to say publicly that that is completely insane. It makes me love Westside Red even more.

The two tracks are

this way

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wait, so why the heck did daniel drop 'a good horse'? yum to the song. yuck to goodbye horsey.

Ben Davis said...

I think because he moved on to his version of avant garde massage...

Harr said...

The John was/is Evans, the Will was/is Loftin.